Recipe by: delicious.com.au
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150g almond meal
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 4 gold-strength gelatine leaves
- 600ml thickened cream
- 180g white chocolate, chopped
- 350g strawberries, plus extra to serve
- 1/3 cup (110g) redcurrant jelly
- 1 1/3 cups (100g) flaked almonds, toasted
- Icing sugar, to dust
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of two 22cm springform cake pans.
Whisk the eggwhites in an electric mixer to soft peaks, then gradually add the caster sugar, whisking until stiff and glossy. Fold in the vanilla.
Combine almond meal, flour and zest, then gently fold into the meringue. Divide between pans and bake for 18 minutes or until pale golden and tops are soft to the touch. Cool cakes completely in pans.
To make the mousse, soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes, then squeeze out excess water. Meanwhile, bring 1 cup (250ml) cream to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, add the chocolate and set aside until melted. Add the gelatine and stir until smooth, then allow to cool slightly.
- Whiz the strawberries and 2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly in a food processor, then push through a sieve, discarding solids. Fold into the gelatine mixture.
Whisk 150ml cream with electric beaters to soft peaks, then, using a metal spoon, fold into the strawberry mixture. Spread over one cake – keep the cake in the pan. Turn out the remaining cake and place on top of the mousse. Cover and chill for 3 hours or until set.
Warm the remaining 2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly in a pan over medium heat, then brush over the extra berries. Remove the cake from the pan. Whip the remaining 200ml cream to soft peaks, then spread over the sides of the cake and press the almonds into the cream. Dust cake with icing sugar and serve with glazed berries.