Recipe by: Steggles
Time: 4 hours
- FROZEN TURKEY WHOLEBIRD SELF BASTING
- 3 CUPS COARSE BURGHUL (ALSO KNOWN AS FEREEK)
- 500G PINE NUTS
- 1 1/2 CUPS CURRANTS
- 1 LARGE BROWN ONION
- 2 TABLESPOONS MIDDLE EASTERN FIVE SPICE
- 1/2 CUP MELTED UNSALTED BUTTER OR GHEE
- 2 CUPS CHICKEN STOCK
- SALT AND PEPPER, TO TASTE
- Slice onion and sauté in butter or ghee in a pan.
- Add the pine nuts and cook until golden brown, then add currants.
- Wash burghul and add to pan, before adding chicken stock and salt and pepper.
- Cook for roughly 10–15 minutes on medium heat until liquid is absorbed and burghul is fluffy. Allow to cool before stuffing turkey.
Remove and clean inside of turkey.
Stuff the turkey from the front and back with the cooled burghul mixture.
Use bamboo skewers or cooking twine and a needle to sew the excess skin over the body of the turkey to close in the mixture inside (this stops it from spilling out while cooking).
Place foil on the drumsticks and wings to prevent them from burning, then place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan. Add water to the pan (this acts as a steamer and prevents burning) then cover with foil and bake in the BBQ at 180°C for 40 minutes per 1kg (depending on size of turkey).
Serve turkey and enjoy.
- If there is leftover burghul mixture, place back in pan, add some chicken stock and finish cooking over stove.