Recipe by: Taste.com.au
Time: 1h 30mins
- 1 kg piece beef rump, fat trimmed, tied with string
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 baby fennel, cut into wedges
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) good-quality beef stock
- 50g butter, cubed
- Steamed broccolini, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan-forced). Brush beef with half the oil, season and sprinkle half the thyme over beef.
- Place onions in base of roasting dish and place beef on a rack in the dish. Add 1/2 a cup water to base of dish. Roast for 45 minutes for rare, 55 minutes for medium and 65 minutes for well done. For ease and accuracy use a meat thermometer.
- Place fennel and sweet potato in a large baking tray, drizzle with remaining oil and season. Cook with beef for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Place beef on a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 20 minutes. Thinly slice.
- To make the gravy place roasting dish with pan juices and onion on stove over medium-high heat. Add stock, bring to the boil and simmer until mixture reduces and thickens slightly. Pour in any extra juices from rested beef roast. Whisk in butter and remaining thyme.
- Serve beef roast with gravy, roast fennel, sweet potato and broccolini.