Recipe by: IGA
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 250g lean beef mince
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- 3 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Add half the onion and the carrots and cook until softened.
- Add half the garlic and the mushrooms to the pan. Cook until mushrooms have browned. Remove from heat, drain off any juices and place mixture on a paper towel to drain further. This prevents the pastry from going soggy.
- Combine mince, remaining onion, remaining garlic, 1 egg, tomato sauce, breadcrumbs and parsley in a bowl.
- Cut 4 large circles out of one sheet of puff pastry. Cut 4 slightly larger circles out of the second piece of puff pastry. Place the 4 smaller circles on the baking tray. Use a small lid or round utensil such as an apple corer about the size of a 5c piece to cut a hole in the centre of each of the larger circles. This stops the pastry from going soggy.
- Divide half the mushroom mix between each circle, leaving a 1cm gap around the edge.
- Shape the meat mixture into 4 patties and place on top of the pastry. Top with remaining mushroom mix. Place the larger circles of pastry over each.
- Press down edges to seal. Mark the edges with a fork and score the top of each. Beat 1 egg in a bowl and brush over each wellington.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until pastry is golden.