Recipe by: cadbury.com.au
Cook: 45-50 mins
Chocolate Cake (makes one cake)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup BOURNEVILLE cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ packet CADBURY CARAMILK Baking chips
Frosting (enough for one cake)
- 2 x 250g PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese original block, softened
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 180g CADBURY Baking 70% Dark chocolate , melted
- 3 Tbsp Coconut oil
To decorated we used 133g CADBURY Baubles in CARAMILK, CADBURY DAIRY MILK and CARAMELLO, and mini gingerbread men.
- Preheat oven to 180C fan forced.
- Cream butter with sugar in the bowl of a freestanding mixer until it is light and fluffy. Add BOURNEVILLE cocoa and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the eggs and mix.
- Sift the flour and bicarb soda, add half to the mixture and mix well. Add half a cup of boiling water and mix well. Repeat with remaining flour and water. The mixture will be quite runny. Pour into a greased and bottom lined 20cm round cake tin. Sprinkle over the CARAMILK Baking chips evenly to distribute.
- Bake in oven for 45 -50 minutes, until well risen and cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Cut cake in half. If making two cakes, you will have four layers.
- Make Philly frosting by mixing Cream Cheese with icing sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a freestanding mixer until light and fluffy. Add cream and continue to whisk until thickened.
- To assemble the cake, place bottom cake layer on a plate or cake stand. For the multilayered cake, add one fifth of the icing. Repeat the layers. Finish with icing on top. Use the remaining icing to coat the outside of the cake. For the naked icing look, simply skim the surface with a palette knife to make a crumb coat. You will see the cake beneath.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave and stir well. Drizzle around the top edges of the cake and allow drips to come down the side.
- Decorate with edible Christmas decorations.