Recipe by: Primo
Leg Ham (bone in)
200ml Maple Syrup
200g Apricot Jam
200g Brown Sugar
4 Rashers Streaky Bacon
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. To make the glaze combine maple syrup, apricot jam and brown sugar in a heavy based pan. Stir in water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Leave to cool.
3. To prepare ham, using a sharp knife, start from the wide end and work towards the shank end, gently lifting the ring away from the fat (try to keep as much fat on the leg as possible so that it will protect the ham and stop it drying out). Discard rind or reserve to cover ham when storing.
4. Using a knife, carefully score the fat of the ham with large diamond shapes. To do this, take a sharp knife from one corner of the ham to the other, making parallel scores 4cm apart. Repeat in the opposite direction.
5. Place a clove in each of the diamond corners.
6. Wrap the shank bone with streaky bacon rashers.
7. Brush ham generously with maple glaze, making sure you push the glaze into the scores.
8. Line a large, heavy based roasting tray with foil (or use a roasting rack). Place ham scored side up on top and
9. Place ham in the oven and roast for 1 ½ hours, continuing to baste with glaze every 30 minutes.
Serve hot or cold.