Recipe by: sunrice.com.au
Cook: 60 mins
- 1/2 cup SunRice Medium brown rice, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- oil for cooking
- 4 hamburger buns, split, toasted
- Yoghurt, hummus, tabouli and lemon wedges to serve
- Put the rice and water into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 25 minutes or until rice is tender and its absorbed all the water. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside 10 minutes. Spread out onto a tray. Refrigerate until cold.
- Combine the rice, chickpeas, onion, flour, baking powder, cumin, coriander, cheese and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until well combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl, stir in parsley. Season. Shape into 4 patties about 2cm thick.
- Pour enough oil in a frying pan to cover base, heat over medium heat until hot. Cook the patties, in batches, for 5-8 minutes on each side or until golden and warmed through.
- Spoon yoghurt and hummus onto buns bases, top with tabouli then falafel pattie, squeeze over lemon and serve.