Recipe by: Alisha Henderson via White Wings
Time: 55 mins
Buttermilk Pie Crust:
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup CSR Brown Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cup White Wings Plain Flour
- 225g cold butter chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup cold buttermilk
Fruit filling of your choice with:
- 3/4 cup CSR Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Wings Cornflour
- 60g soft butter
- Cinnamon, Vanilla and any other spices of your choice
- Grease a 20-22cm pie dish (the disposable tin foil pans bake the best!)
- Place almond meal, sugar, salt & flour in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and use your finger to work into a fine bread crumb like texture. Whisk in the egg yolk & the buttermilk and stir.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured bench and knead until all combined. Divide the dough into 2 equal halves. Roll out one piece in a big circle to cover the base of the pie dish. Press in gently, cove any holes and then trim the edge.
- Now let’s prepare the filling – choose your fruits, add it to a bowl and combine with all the filling ingredients. Place into the pie dish.
- Roll out the second piece of dough to make a pastry lid for the top, feel free to do some pretty decorative elements here. If you cover the pie in full make sure to cut some slits in the pastry so the filling can cook!
- Cover the pie and place in the fridge for at least 1hr and up to 24hrs.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush the pie with a beaten egg and for a beautiful glistening finish, sprinkle CSR Raw Caster sugar all over the top.
- Bake approx 50-60 minutes until pastry is rich golden brown and filling is bubbling away.
- Wait at least 45 mins before serving so the pie has cooled slightly and the filling has firmed up.
- This pie dough recipe is SUPER delicious! Fill the pie with any fresh or tinned fruit you have at home.
- Raw Caster sugar gives this pie a beautiful glisten after baking!