Recipe by: Kidspot
Time: 60 mins
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 red apple, cored and sliced very thinly
- a little raw sugar for sprinkling
- Take the butter and eggs out of the fridge to reach room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 20 x 30cm slice pan with baking paper and set aside.
- Beat the butter, honey and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Once all the eggs are beaten through, set this bowl (the ‘wet’ mix) aside.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Alternate folding 1 large spoon of this flour mixture (the ‘dry’ mix) and 1 large spoon of yoghurt into the ‘wet’ mix until all combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Arrange the apple slices on top and press down slightly. Sprinkle the raw sugar lightly on top.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until lightly golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave in pan for about 5 minutes to cool, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can wrap and freeze portions of this cake and pull them out as you need them.
- I used delicious pink lady apples here but you can use any variety red apple.